Castle Waldeck rests on the remnants of an 11th-century fortification, towering over the town of Waldeck, in the district of Waldeck-Frankenberg in Hessen (Germany). The castle is situated in the north of the Kellerwald-Edersee nature reserve, 120 metres above the Edersee's north shore, on a steep, wooded rock close to the Centre of the halftimbered town of Waldeck. What better place to take in the beautiful scenery!
Formerly the ancestral seat and residence of the Counts of Waldeck, the fortification was later used as military barracks. In 1734 it was a state penitentiary, and in subsequent years was used as state archive, forestry office, and, as early as 1906, was put to use as a hotel. Today it belongs to the Waldeckian domanial administration and is public property.
In September 2009, the hotel subsidiary manufacturing company reopened the redesigned 'Hotel Schloss Waldeck'.